Experts call different classifications, one of the most popular is Daniel Goleman's system. According to him, six types of managers can be distinguished.
- Prepare people for future challenges: "Try this"
- Set high standards of performance: "Do as I do"
- Seek agreement based on collective participation in problem solving: "What is your opinion?"
- They create harmony, make emotional contacts: "People first"
- Mobilize people around their vision of the future: "Follow me"
- Require direct submission: "Do what I tell you"
What is the most efficient and optimal management style? There is no consensus, since much depends on the tasks and level of business development, however, most employers believe that the coronavirus crisis and the transition of many employees to "remote work" have changed the requirements for managers. According to a Kontakt InterSearch Russia survey, 40% of companies have chosen an inspiring style as the most important for a manager today. About a third of employers noted an urging style, 12% – democratic, the same number – supportive. The minimum number of answers was collected for the options "consulting" and "directive" (4% each).
These data are confirmed by the leaders themselves. In a Kontakt InterSearch Russia poll conducted in March 2021, most directors-respondents confirmed that they most often use an inspiring and democratic style in their work. However, pure types are rare, and many successful managers change their approach depending on the tasks and people in charge.